Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Self-Bound Flannel Baby Blanket

I am so excited about this new flannel baby blanket. I love how the back fabric (stripes) borders the front fabric (navy solid). I have been making the plain two-sided kind forever, but this version is just a bit fancier, but not all that much harder once you know how to do it. I followed the tutorial from Every Day Mom, which was the best one I found, except when it came to the last few steps. I just couldn't figure out what I was supposed to do to get those stinkin' corners mitered. So if you want to make these cute blankets, here's what I would do. I would follow Every Day Mom's tutorial through step 5. The tutorial  I originally linked to no longer works. To make your blanket, follow these steps:

1. Cut two perfect squares of flannel: one 42x42 inch and one 36x36 inch.

2. Mark the center of each side of the blanket and pin the two centers right sides together. This means that the large square will hang off the edges of the small square. You are lining them up in the middle, not the corners.

3. Starting at the center of each side, sew to the edge of the smaller piece of fabric, leaving the larger fabric puff on the corner alone.

Then:
Step 4: Fold the blanket together so that the outside edges are flush. Line up that edge on your cutting mat, and draw a 90 degree line from the stitch stopping point. This line helps you know where to fold in the next step.


Step 5: Fold the corner down, keeping the bottom edges flush and crease the fabric.


Step 6: Draw a line where the crease was. Sew down that line. Clip off excess fabric. Repeat on all four corners and turn blanket right side out. Even if you are anti-ironing, you HAVE to iron this baby down before sewing if you want it to look nice. I used a zig zag stitch to go around where the two fabrics meet, which also closed off the hole.


See how pretty those corners are?! Yay for self-bound blankets! These are my new go-to for baby shower gifts!

Sew Much Ado has a fantastic tutorial for this type of blanket too. CLICK HERE to check it out.

7 comments:

  1. Thats very good!
    I will let make this for my comming baby soon

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the same problem trying to finish this blanket using the other tutorial. Thanks for posting the last few steps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! Your blog is so fun to read!! I don't know you personally, but I think you rock. *pin*

    ReplyDelete
  4. What's funny is your metered corner instruction in just the same as the original! You added an extra fold down step to make yourself feel more secure about the 90 degree angle placement..but other then that its the same! Believe me I've been sewing for over 35 yrs and with my analytical mind its been hard... I've learned when an instruction is confusing just go for it as explained even if it sounds wrong! Many times even professional sewing patterns seem more like a magic trick then a simple sewing step..and in the end all will turn out fine! Looks great! Thanks for this tutorial my first grandbaby will be born this June..finally...and my daughter wants me to make all kinds of things!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much...that part confusses me and you made it perfectly clear. I just finished a blanket..thank you so much for being smart!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, thanks for this tutorial. I have made these before, and they are fun. Do you know if it will work with a rectangle? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it would work with rectangles as long as you cut the front and back the right sizes... for example, 42x50 and 36x44. Good luck with your project, Mama Pea!

      Delete

Hey readers! Leave me a note... I read each and every comment and I love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...